Baby Blues and Postpartum Depression Causes and Treatment
After becoming a mother, the responsibilities of a woman increases. People feel that after becoming a mother, a woman gets real happiness, which is true on one hand. But, if we tell you that many women go through depression after becoming mothers, then perhaps you will be surprised. Yes, many women develop postpartum depression after pregnancy. At the same time within ten days after delivery, another type of mental state is seen in women, which is called Baby Blues.
The problem of lack of Awareness
There is the lack of awareness in India and most parts of African countries about baby blues and post-delivery depression. Dr. Yadav said that “Soon after delivery, when a woman suffers from baby blues or postpartum depression, people such as family and friends often believe that the woman has seen a ghost.
In such a situation, people prefer to go to the local or traditional/native doctor instead of coming to the allopathic doctor. Ignorance makes the woman’s situation even more critical by resorting to “tantra-mantra and vodoo.”
Awareness is the right treatment for depression and baby blues after delivery. The woman should be educated about these two mental states and their symptoms at the time of pregnancy. By doing this, the woman can understand this after delivery and can treat herself with ease.
Today in this article, we will talk about postpartum depression after delivery. You will know why this happens and how to possibly treat it. Also, we will know if baby blues and depression after delivery is the same or different. Let us treat in detail about these two mental problems common in women after delivery.
Baby blues and postpartum depression. Are they the same?
Dr. Yadav, a psychiatrist at a Hospital, said that “Baby blues and postpartum depression are not the same”. People often consider these two to be the same mental illness but both have different mental states. Baby blues can be seen as the initial stages of postpartum depression.
Baby blues include mood swings, sadness, worry about baby handling, irritability, etc. in a woman. At the same time, baby blues later takes the form of increasing postpartum depression. Like baby blues, postpartum depression also comes with mood swings, desire to cry, loss of appetite and sleeplessness, suicidal thoughts, etc.
What are the symptoms of Baby Blues?
20 to 80 percent of women complain of baby blues. It is good if the mother is treated in time by recognizing its symptoms. The cause of baby blues is the hormonal changes occurring immediately after delivery. The mother’s mood swings due to rapid hormonal changes.
- In a few moments, sadness dominates joy. For a moment the mother becomes proud of herself, after few moments she starts crying and even cursing.
- She can even stop caring for herself
- The feeling of anxiety, tiredness, and irritability sets in
What are the symptoms of postpartum depression after delivery?
Baby blues later takes the form of depression into what is called postpartum depression. Its symptoms are more dangerous than baby blues. Below we are giving you some symptoms of depression after delivery:
- The woman feels sad, hopeless, and lonely. Because of which she often starts crying.
- The woman feels that she is not a good mother.
- The woman feels that she is not feeling connected with the child.
- The woman neither eats nor sleeps due to apathy. Also, she does not take care of her child.
- A woman may also have panic attacks. Apart from this, he also has thoughts of suicide in her mind.
How to treat Baby Blues?
Baby blues doesn’t become a major problem in the future where it has to be managed for a long period or forever. Its treatment is necessary for some time only. Below we are telling you some of the many ways to cure baby blues, which the mother alone can do all by herself:
- The mother is the first treatment of baby blues. The mother should try to feel better of herself.
- The mother should also complete her sleep when the child is sleeping. With the completion of sleep, the mother will be able to control her emotions.
- The mother should take proper nutrition and food. Good food will also help her come out of the baby blues.
- The mother should go for periodic walks. Mild exercise should be done in the fresh air. By doing this, the mother will feel good.
- In case of trouble, the help of others must be taken. In such a time, one can feel better with others especially family.
- The mother should take maximum rest for herself and care of the child.
Dr. Yadav also said that after delivery, depressions are caused by hormonal changes. After delivery, hormones like estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone change in the mother’s body.
It directly affects the behavior of the mother. Apart from this, the lack of desire to even have another child is also caused by depression.
- After delivery, a woman suffering from depression should openly speak to her family members.
- If the mother feels that she is in depression, she must visit her doctor.
- Postpartum depression is a frightening condition, so it is very important for mothers to consult a professional who can prescribe the appropriate medication to control the responsible hormones. Apart from this, counseling of the patient is also helps very well
More information can be found on my favorite online resources here…..